Additive Manufacturing Research Assistant Internship
At Orion AM we focus on scientific research and development of Additive Manufacturing hardware technologies for solving the complex problems of today and building innovative solutions of tomorrow. We aim to drive innovation through Industrial Additive Manufacturing for advanced applications using Aerospace-Grade Polymers. The system we have developed is market-leading when it comes to the strength of the manufactured parts.
We believe in using the technologies that we develop in a responsible and ethical manner for the improvement of society and humanity as a whole. Our curiosity fuels exploration, which drives us to innovate, create more advanced tools and further nurture our knowledge.
Orion Additive Manufacturing is seeking an Additive Manufacturing Research Assistant to support research our projects for 3 months or longer. This internship position gives you the opportunity to deepen your existing knowledge of additive manufacturing by working with us to improve upon our already market-leading tensile testing results. You will also have the chance to work on actual customer projects, to perfect the printing results and achieve the desired tolerances. Your suggestions for improvements in our processes and to our machines are most welcomed as well.
We are looking for a person who is inquisitive, curious, eager to learn, and who has a high degree of autonomy. Existing interest and basic knowledge of both additive manufacturing and mechanical engineering are required. The main language in our office is English. While we welcome people of all backgrounds, beliefs, and orientations, we do require that you are already located in Berlin.
- Supporting CAD design and/or modeling and simulation
- Fused Filament Fabrication machinery operation as well as daily monitoring
- Gathering data on 3D printing processes and identifying opportunities for improvement
- Conducting quality checks
- Detailed and prompt communication of machine issues
- Identifying and proposing best practices
- Ensuring all machines are in excellent working condition
- Assisting in electronic and mechanical fabrication
- Working towards a B.Sc. or Technical degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or similar
- Looking for a position for your ‘mandatory internship’ (Pflichtpraktikum)
- A creative problem solver and enthusiastic about design improvement
- Fluent in English. German language skills are considered a plus
- Proficient in CAD and SolidWorks
- Able to multitask and know how to prioritize
- Able to tackle daily goals and working autonomously
- A strong communicator and supportive of a collaborative work culture
- Strongly interested in AM and have a reasonable understanding of it
- Skilled at working with confidential protocols
- Experienced in using FFF machines
- Skilled at taking the initiative to ensure processes continue to run smoothly
- Skilled at taking accurate and detailed yet succinct notes
- Inquisitive and not shy to ask questions
What's great in the job?
During your internship, we offer:
- Direct experience in one of the most significant technologies in Industry 4.0
- The opportunity to work with and aid the development of bleeding-edge technology
- Research experience in a lab located in one of the world's leading institutions for applied research and development of electronics and their system integration
- A hands-on attitude team that encourages your creativity and ideas
- The opportunity to develop your career and learn by doing
- An energetic, transparent and friendly start-up environment
- The opportunity to participate in and contribute to the expansion of a German company headquartered in Berlin
Job type: Full-time internship
Location: Berlin (Germany), on-site
Start date: Immediately
Duration: 3-6 months
Time commitment: 40 hours/week
Orion AM is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes all skilled people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnicity, religion, disability, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.